On the subject of the dogs in shades, have you ever had one of those things pop out of an alcove at you? If that's not scary, I really don't know what is. As far as modifying a voice goes, there's something to be said for messing around with the affects in an audio editing program to see what you can turn out. Perhaps lowering the pitch and distorting the sound a bit might give you what your looking for?----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas Ward <thomasward1...@gmail.com
To: Gamers Discussion list <gamers@audyssey.org
Date sent: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 21:32:49 -0400
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] USA Games Halloween Project

Hi Dark,

Good point, but that is part of the problem for us I think. Since
there are no graphics to speak of its difficult to completely transfer the right image via sound. I know in just sorting through my extensive sound library for monster sounds I'm having troubles finding a sound
that is particularly scary.

For instance, take a werewolf. We could use generic wolf sounds which
would work, but sounds too common. I could use a really vicious
sounding dog, but its not beastly enough for mine. So even though I have sounds that could or would work I'm looking for something truly beastly and evil sounding, but can't find anything that really fits the bill. The mutant dogs in Shades of Doom are too tame for what I
have in mind for a really good werewolf sound.

Other creatures I'd like to create escapes me altogether in terms of sound. One creature I have in mind is the evil undead Sorceress from the Stoneback Hill adventure in Sryth. The one in the room with the box with the false bottom in it. I always thought that sorceress would
make a great game vilain in an audio game.

The problem is that a human voice screaming etc sounds to alive to be an undead creature without lots of alterations. Using rattling bones is rather sexless and has no gender to them. So I need to think of
some way to create something that sounds both inhuman and is
unmistakably female. Kind of a tall order since I don't know what I
need to create something that sinister.

Cheers!