Hi Thomas,
I have a few questions here.
Since you talked about open source things like SDL and such I'd like to know what mainstream games for Mac or Linux use. They obviously don't have DirectX components, but if a a 3D first person shooter is created or ported to something non windows, there must be alternatives for the programmers.
They could create their own sound libraries or use propritary ones.
But the question remains what they use. And even if mainstream games do have graphics to look for doors or hallways this doesn't necessarily mean that the positioning of the audio related to said objects has to be only approximately near the spot. In many mainstream games it is as precise as you need it for your games or like in Shades of Doom. Since Mac and linux are not one or two years old, there must be ways to technically deal with better game controller support or better audio handling. Thus I'd like to know what other companies or programmers use when it comes to either cross platform porting of their games or when a game is directly developed for a non windows operating system.