Out of interest tom is there any bennifit to the new Ui change?

I'm using ie 8 currently because I've stil got windows xp, but frankly I really dislike multiple tabs, and prefer just to open a window that I can alt tab too sinse it's far more logical to me to do that.

I've noticed a trend to have lots of crap on the screen, eg, toolbars, multiple tabs, different ree view etc, and I pretty much turn them all off, so for me using ie 8 is pretty much like using ie 6.

I've even stil got office 2007, on one machine and 2003 on another, sinse frankly I saw no bennifit in the newer version.

is this like the silly ribbon controls? Something we just have to get used to, but which is ultimately just a flashy ui change that is more of an annoyence than an upgrade?

While I always try to keep up to date software where there is a manifest bennifit in new versions, such as Hal, winamp and 7zip, not to mention games, other stuff (especially from microsoft), I tend to be more suspect of.

Beware the grue!