To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:15 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Game Design

Hi Nicole.
Firstly let me say that there is a big difference between a book and a
game derived from that same book.  You will have to decide what type
of game you want to make. Interactive fiction and role playing games
is closer to the book form than a strategy game or fps. When you write
a story you can plan all the characters actions in advance, but with a
game you need to give a player some choices and think about the
results of those choices.

I know I might be stating the obvious to you, but I feel I need to
explain my advice. First choose the type of interaction the player
should have, then decide on the plot and flow of the game.  If there
are actions in the game that depend on player stats or chance, give a
little mind to how it might work.

If you want to try programming, look at the resources Thomas
mentioned. This is your best bet on getting a game from your story. If
that does not work out, you might try to tempt someone on a list by
sending a short outline of the story and hoping for the best, but
writing a game with someone looking over your shoulder can be a
challenge for a programmer.

I know all this is full of generalities, but I hope it helps. Everyone
works out their own methods in the end.

Hi Nicole,

Well, you can try and hire one of the accessible developers to design
and develop the games for you, but that would probably cost you more
money than you have to spend. The best thing you could do is to write
them yourself. There are a couple of options here.

One,you could learn a general all purpose programming language and how
to program games from scratch. I run a list specifically designed for
this purpose on
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com/lists.php
and that is one option.

the other is to buy Philip's BGT game programming toolkit which will
save you time, and perhaps be a little easier. You can get that from
http://www.blastbay.com
as well as join the BGT forum.

HTH