Hi Charles,

Not only that, but balancing out the timing could be tricky. After the
host gives the clue the contestents have up to five seconds to
respond. Since I'm assuming you would be playing against two computer
opponents they would have the speed advantage since there responces
could be almost instant giving the human player no time to respond. If
I give the human player 3 to 5 seconds head start then there is a good
chance the computer players won't be fast enough to give their own
answers. The only way this would work out is if we had a human vs
human game over a network connection.

Even then I can see a bit of a timing problem. If I used MS Sapi as
Jim does with his Trivia engine not everyone is going to have the
speech rate set correctly. One player might have his/hers set very
fast and the next very slow. the game server would have to be updated
with the status of both speech engines before allowing the players to
enter their choice. I've never tried anything like that over a network
connection because usually you don't have to sink input and speech
over a network connection. Problematic in deed.

Cheers!


On 5/26/12, Charles Rivard <[email protected]> wrote:
> One problem with punny clues is that screen readers will be used.  For
> example, just by listening, what would you think of a clue such as "two b or
>
> not to be".  Every question you give in this category contains a double b.
> As for a timer, I don't think there should be one, because people might have
>
> to read an answer letter by letter if it is not understandable through using
>
> speech.  The screen reader might screw up foreign language words, and the
> player should not be penalized for this.
> ---
> Shepherds are the best beasts, but Labs are a close second.

---
Gamers mailing list __ [email protected]
If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to [email protected].
You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
http://mail.audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected].
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
please send E-mail to [email protected].

Reply via email to