Hi Dark,
Well,that is an interesting point about film scores, but part of the
issue here is artist vs the genre of music. A person might happily enjoy
John Williams but have no interest in Beethoven or Mozart. Does that
mean that person really likes classical music?
I personally don't think so. Just because a person might like one or two
artists of a certain genre of music be it orchestral music from a
specific film score doesn't necessarily mean he or she likes all
classical music in general. All it merely says is that the person is
being very selective of who they like and don't like in that particular
genre.
For example, let's take rap. Over all, I am not and never have been a
very big rap fan. Just never took to that style of music personally.
However, I have a few discs from the late 80's and early 90's like Salt
and Peppa, M.C. Hammer, and DJ Jazzy Jeff. Those are a few exceptions to
the rule, so I guess you could say I like some rap, but in general I
don't care for it.
On the other hand I would readily agree if you say I like pop and rock
since 90% of my music collection is of pop and rock artists of the 70's,
80's, and 90's. Of course, there are some artists I don't like in that
genre but I'd say I like far more than I dislike. With rap, classical
music, etc its totally the opposite. So in summary I think weather
someone likes a certain genre of music must take in account how much a
person actually listens to that genre of music compared to others.
Cheers!
On 5/28/2012 5:21 AM, dark wrote:
Hi Jim.
What do you think to film score?
I'm always a little confused when people talk about disliking
"classical music" and then will freely listen to the music of Jon
williams, james horner, john turner etc.
All of that sort of emotive music is based on about 200 years of
orchestral tradition.
While during the classical period things were very formuleic and
rather emotionless, ----- mostly because the music was essentially
just used as background for dinner parties and diplomatic functions,
after beathoven, people got the idea that music should actually
contain emotion!
This lead to what is called the romantic period, which went from the
early 19th to mid 20th century, which is probably my favourite period
of music.
All my favourite composers come from this era, (and interestingly
enough most are Russian), and as I said, the romantic era is largely
what gave birth to the modern idea of film score.
So, i'd say anyone who's ever enjoyed the music to starwars, harry
potter or Lord of the rings has enjoyed "classical" (or rather
orchestral), music, without actually knowing it, and probably would
like a good bit of earlier stuff if they heard it.
Part of the real problem though is that a lot of music is presented
extremely badly and exclusively, by people who are very cleaque
orientated.
This goes even more especially for most opera, even in terms of the
massive amount of Vibrato a lot of classically trained singers use and
the total disregard for emotions or story.
If you've ever enjoyed musicals or disney films, you've enjoyed opera,
it's just that most "opera" singers don't really think like that, or
present things that way to the audience, quite especially if they have
such a massive vibrato and can't be heard.
I'm currently training as a professional tenor, and this is in fact
one thing I really want to do, actually talk! to an audience, and do
stuff that really ranges in genre from full classic opera to disney,
with equal attentions paid to the words and story of each.
What I've really found in music myself is that I appreciate
individuality, musicality and ability, which can really range betwene
different genres. I've got a music collection that goes from a bit of
classic rock like the beatles, through progressive rock and acoustic
such as pink floyde and Leonard cohen, right to electronica, musicals
opera, and a lot of orchestral stuff.
The one thing I can't bare however is music that is just is
qualatitively bad, in terms of it's musical range, style, and
uniqueness. A lot of boy and girl bands for instance have a range of
only a fifth, lyrics that make little to no sense, even using
electronics to make sure they hit the right notes, ----- this is why I
largely ignore pop music these days, albeit that in the past there
have been a lot of very talented popular musicians or composers, Eltan
John, Paum mccartney, phil colins (though I rather dislike his voice),
even Queen (as I said, wide musical taste).
I do admit though I am something of a perfectionist where correct
notes are concerned, sinse anything that is off key causes me a
physical headache. Bob dillen for instance, however much I appreciate
his guitar playing and lyrics, I can't bare hearing him sing, sinse it
physically causes me actual pain given how off key he is.
Beware the Grue!
Dark.
---
Gamers mailing list __ [email protected]
If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to
[email protected].
You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
http://mail.audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected].
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the
list,
please send E-mail to [email protected].
---
Gamers mailing list __ [email protected]
If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to [email protected].
You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
http://mail.audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected].
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
please send E-mail to [email protected].