Hi Charles.

Actually i agree with you on grand opera, and rather weerdly for someone who is training to do it professionally, I like listening to very few other professional singers because of the massive vibratos and total lack of context. that is why I so much enjoy gilbert and sullivan which is obviously in English, and where if you don't hear the words your missing out on half the fun, though annoyingly you still get a lot of people who over vibrato!

The first time I had to sing a peace of German opera, my first thought was "bloody hell! this is hard to sing, and I really dislike it" I got a word for word translation, and tried my hardest to pronounce the german the way I would english, so that every word was clear, I also read up on the story, but none of these made me like the peace any more.

It changed however distinctly when I actually performed it. Sinse it's one thing to sing a rather sappy and quite nonsensical love song to someone, quite another to sing it with two random people in a chorus singing "oh dam! she likes him much better than he likes us, lets hide in the bushes, ---- or dus boosh as it was in German"

So I learnt that once you have the context, and the story nd the scene, opera can be quite fun.

Unfortunately though, this isn't what most opera singers do. Even in a solo concert, they just sit and jaw at the audience, indeed my singer teacher once told me of a singer who was so feeble she refused to speak betwene peaces.

This is however one thing I want to change, sinse as well as being able to sing, one thing I realize I can do which perhaps not all singers can, is talk to an audience, be humerous, interesting, and put things into a context, so that even when I'm singing a peace in Italian or German, people will A, know what the heck it is about, and B, be able to hear the words.

That's why I intend to start studdying conversational Italian as well as singing next year.

So, the bottom line is, while I agree about Opera, I think much of the blaime for this falls on Opera singers really and how it is presented, as much as the actual music.

All the best,

Dark.

---
Gamers mailing list __ [email protected]
If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to [email protected].
You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
http://mail.audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected].
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
please send E-mail to [email protected].

Reply via email to