The reason I don't care for opera is that I can never understand what the
singers are enunciating. The high voices and vibrato make it almost
impossible. And if the opera is in any language other than English, I won't
get anything out of it. The parts of the story told by costumes, scenery
and action are not within my audio field. In short, it's boring.
As for the music in movies, "2001: A Space Odyssey" "Star Wars" and the
"Harry Potter" movies have excellent sound tracks, although I would not go
out and buy them, because, to me, they are part of the movies. Mood music?
How about the music when the great white shark is approaching during the
first "Jaws" movie? It was perfect.
---
Shepherds are the best beasts, but Labs are a close second.
----- Original Message -----
From: "dark" <[email protected]>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2012 4:21 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Accessible Jeopardy?
Hi Jim.
What do you think to film score?
I'm always a little confused when people talk about disliking "classical
music" and then will freely listen to the music of Jon williams, james
horner, john turner etc.
All of that sort of emotive music is based on about 200 years of
orchestral tradition.
While during the classical period things were very formuleic and rather
emotionless, ----- mostly because the music was essentially just used as
background for dinner parties and diplomatic functions, after beathoven,
people got the idea that music should actually contain emotion!
This lead to what is called the romantic period, which went from the early
19th to mid 20th century, which is probably my favourite period of music.
All my favourite composers come from this era, (and interestingly enough
most are Russian), and as I said, the romantic era is largely what gave
birth to the modern idea of film score.
So, i'd say anyone who's ever enjoyed the music to starwars, harry potter
or Lord of the rings has enjoyed "classical" (or rather orchestral),
music, without actually knowing it, and probably would like a good bit of
earlier stuff if they heard it.
Part of the real problem though is that a lot of music is presented
extremely badly and exclusively, by people who are very cleaque
orientated.
This goes even more especially for most opera, even in terms of the
massive amount of Vibrato a lot of classically trained singers use and the
total disregard for emotions or story.
If you've ever enjoyed musicals or disney films, you've enjoyed opera,
it's just that most "opera" singers don't really think like that, or
present things that way to the audience, quite especially if they have
such a massive vibrato and can't be heard.
I'm currently training as a professional tenor, and this is in fact one
thing I really want to do, actually talk! to an audience, and do stuff
that really ranges in genre from full classic opera to disney, with equal
attentions paid to the words and story of each.
What I've really found in music myself is that I appreciate individuality,
musicality and ability, which can really range betwene different genres.
I've got a music collection that goes from a bit of classic rock like the
beatles, through progressive rock and acoustic such as pink floyde and
Leonard cohen, right to electronica, musicals opera, and a lot of
orchestral stuff.
The one thing I can't bare however is music that is just is qualatitively
bad, in terms of it's musical range, style, and uniqueness. A lot of boy
and girl bands for instance have a range of only a fifth, lyrics that make
little to no sense, even using electronics to make sure they hit the right
notes, ----- this is why I largely ignore pop music these days, albeit
that in the past there have been a lot of very talented popular musicians
or composers, Eltan John, Paum mccartney, phil colins (though I rather
dislike his voice), even Queen (as I said, wide musical taste).
I do admit though I am something of a perfectionist where correct notes
are concerned, sinse anything that is off key causes me a physical
headache. Bob dillen for instance, however much I appreciate his guitar
playing and lyrics, I can't bare hearing him sing, sinse it physically
causes me actual pain given how off key he is.
Beware the Grue!
---
Gamers mailing list __ [email protected]
If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to [email protected].
You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
http://mail.audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected].
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
please send E-mail to [email protected].