To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 4:29 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Redistributing RPG Source Books

Hi Dark,

Hmmm....That's interesting. Certainly there are advantages to creating
your own character from scratch, even for the short term, but as I
said for some people they want to pretend or roll play someone they
really like from an existing game universe. It all comes down to
personal choice which is what makes roll playing so fun.

However, I do agree it does make the game far more interesting if each
person creates a custom character to roll play rather than looking at
a list of existing characters and picking one out of a book. One thing
that slightly irritates me is getting onto a mud and encountering
someone named Captain Kirk, his personal ship is the Enterprise, and
the game isn't even Star Trek.  Its like, "hello, some creativity
please!"

Most of the time I'm like you. If I'm going to seriously roll play
I'll spend some time working on creating a custom character unless
there is compelling reason why I might choose to play an existing
character. That's why even for games like Sryth or muds like Alter
Aeon I'll keep track of my own character sheet with back story, stats,
and an idea of where he or she is going in the game world as though it
were a tabletop adventure. I like creating a character and seeing him
or her grow in skills and experienced based on some criteria I chose
rather than getting a character who is already defined by someone
else. Its for that reason I get a little miffed when I'm playing in a
game and see someone called Captain Kirk or Xena when I know they are
copying someone else's character rather than spending some time and
effort on a custom character. Although, I understand why people do it,
and they either aren't good at creating custom characters or want to
specifically roll play a certain character.

Cheers!