To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2012 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] super egghunt was: Re: Announcement fromDraconisEntertainment

For some one with a PHD and knows how to do research. You sure no nothing about arcade games or what they even are.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_game

At 06:59 AM 12/14/2012, you wrote:
Hi tom.

I believe at one point amigar power magazine started to use the phrase "arcade action games" to describe many of the titles which were being produced that had a distinct structure, many levels and enemies etc, but still had a scoring system, sinse remember in the mid to late 80's it wasn't just platformers that were moving away from the infinite levels, rack up score affairs, even pure shooter games like paradius, r-type, z out etc, not to mention those good old walk along beat em ups such as final fight, the turtles arcade game, golden axe, original robocop etc. Heck even original lemmings! had a scoring system, so it was very much a change over the era.

Because however I had to work out some catagories for audiogames.net, and also to get things straight in my own head, these days I tend to catagorize "arcade" as pretty exclusively infinite levels, rack up score, and "action" for games that have a distinct structure and progression such as superliam, Pipe 2 etc.

I fully agree there is considderable overlap, but in the interests of having some distinction, and because this is also a distinction I tend to think of myself it seemed a good idea to separate one sort of game from another.

all the best,