Actually I am quite aware that arcade games covers everything from mechanical air hocky, to test your strength machines, to light gun operated shooting galleries.

that was why I explicitely stated that such was my own deffinition of arcade games.

From a technical standpoint you could create an arcade game in any genre.
For example, there used to be a very expensive virtual reality arcade rp game called legend quest, and I've certainly seen a huge, mechanical real mech simulator also using vr.

thus even something like lone wolf could conceiveably be considdered an arcade game sinse I have seen similar games in custom cabinets in arcades.

Such a deffinition however, is far too broard in game genre terms to really be any use. Remember, that when writing the genre descriptions for audiogames.net I was attempting to come up with catagorizations that would help people find different sorts of games they liked.

For example, I have certainly seen several sports style arcade games from golf, to ffootball to baseball, yet if somebody goes to audiogames.net and looks for "sports games" it won't help them if jjim kitchin's baseball is in the same catagory as super egghunt.

Thus, it seemd reasonable to me to use the name "arcade games" as a catagorization termm specifically for games that resemble the classics of the 80's, even though I am quite aware that in reality there are far more types of games in arcades than just those.

I suppose I could make up some sort of weerd term, point games, casual action games, score games or the like, but that seems a little silly when to many people "arcade style" means exactly that. It is a term which reviewers and crytics of games have used for years, which is why I thought it made sense as a catagory even though technically none! of the games we have is an arcade game because they are not housed in an arcade cabinet which accepts coins.

Hope this makes sense.

Beware the grue!