On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Dalibor Topic
<dalibor.to...@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 6/15/11 10:42 AM, Volker Simonis wrote:
>> So for me the "Author" role is a little artificial, because already
>> "Contributors" have the right to submit changes. Why do you need
>> special rights to create changesets for a specific code repository?
>
> A Contributor may or may not have been granted direct push access to
> a Project’s code repositories. An Author with that right is a Committer.

But that's exactly my point! You could replace "Author" in your second
sentence with "Contributor" and it would make no difference.
Effectively you are saying an Author with commit rights is a
"Committer". But an Author without commit rights is just a plain
Contributor. So if we only have these two kind of Authors (Committers
and Contributors) why not just name them that way and forget about the
Author role?

>> Moreover the bylaws do not define a way how to become an Author
>> (except for newly created Projects where the initial Authors are
>> appointed by the Project Lead).
>
> To quote from the final draft:
> http://openjdk.java.net/groups/gb/bylaws/draft-openjdk-bylaws-10
>
> A Project Lead is a Committer to that Project who is responsible for
> directing and coordinating the Project’s activities. A Project’s Lead has:
> [snip]
>    The authority to appoint and remove Authors who are not also Committers;

Sorry, you're right! I've overseen the "appoint" in that sentence
although I've read it at least a couple of times:)

But that still leaves the question open: can only Authors submit a
change for review/submission? It has not been so until now. Currently,
every Contributor can submit a change and hope that it will be
reviewed and committed by some Committers.