> On Apr 14, 2021, at 2:19 PM, Nathan Sidwell <nat...@acm.org> wrote:
>
> On 4/14/21 12:52 PM, Martin Jambor wrote:
>> Hi Nathan,
>> On Wed, Apr 14 2021, Nathan Sidwell wrote:
>>> Do we have a policy about removing list subscribers that send abusive or
>>> other toxic emails?  do we have a code of conduct?  Searching the wiki
>>> or website finds nothing.  The mission statement mentions nothing.
>> I think that (most?) people have already figured out that messages from
>> unfamiliar senders on certain topics have to be ignored.  It is much
>> easier than any moderation, which would be ugly work (someone would have
>> to read the often horrible stuff).
>> I think that you only "associate" with trolls if you feed them.  I have
>> recently made that mistake on this list once and will not repeat it.
>
> I disagree.  Their emails pollute the list.  Just as I wouldn't like to go to
> a bar where there are noisy jerks in a corner, I don't like to frequent an ML
> where there are.  Bouncers exist in physical space, is it so hard to
> electronically bounce jerks?  Is it so hard to explicitly say 'be a jerk and
> be thrown out'?

Who decides?

Bouncers enforce the policy of the owner of the joint.  In any meetingplace
that has an owner who has authority over who enters, it's possible to establish
rules controlling ejection and bouncers to do the ejecting.

Our place does not have a single owner who has the authority to decide
unilaterally "you're not wanted, leave".  What mechanism would you use instead?
 Ostracism, in the classic Greek sense of a secret ballot to decide for or
against banishment?

        paul