On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org> wrote:
> On 6/6/11 10:41, Manfred A. Reiter wrote:
>>
>> Hi Richard, *

>> [...]
>>
>>> Disclaimer: I work for Oracle, but certainly don't speak for them and I
>>> knew nothing about this other than what i've read on these mailing lists...
>>>
>>> However, it seems like we have lost sight of the fact that TDF split the
>>> community from OOo. Sure, Oracle is the perceived villain and TDF the
>>> perceived good guy, but it doesn't change the fact that OOo created the
>>> community in the first place.
>>>
>> Fact: Your employer provoked the split, by a absolute
>> "non-communication" on the existing mailinglist.
>> Now, to say that TDF has split the Communtiy is dishonest!
>
> Forking splits communities. Whether you feel you had a justified reason for
> doing so does not change this fact. I am not weighing in on whether it is
> right or wrong in this case, since I think that is immaterial to where we
> are now.

That's an example of denial. I do not see a conductive environment here
if such attitudes are tolerated.

> I am only going by the "facts" as presented on the various Apache mailing
> lists. If it is true that TDF was engaged by Oracle/IBM before the Apache
> proposal, but failed to come to terms, then I cannot see how one can claim
> that the Apache proposal was merely an attempt to split the community.

You should read more about free and open-source software, from diverse sources.
Get a lwn.net subscription.

Similar example, there was XFree86 long time ago that behaved just
like the Oracle developers.
Then, it was forked into X.Org and everyone moved to X.Org.
XFree86 is a distant memory.

Simos