On 6/6/11 11:26, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Richard S. Hall<he...@ungoverned.org>  wrote:
On 6/6/11 10:41, Manfred A. Reiter wrote:
Hi Richard, *

2011/6/6 Richard S. Hall<he...@ungoverned.org>
On 6/6/11 2:48, Phil Steitz wrote:
On 6/6/2011 1:06 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Phil Steitz<phil.ste...@gmail.com>
  wrote:

[...]

Disclaimer: I work for Oracle, but certainly don't speak for them and I
knew nothing about this other than what i've read on these mailing lists...

However, it seems like we have lost sight of the fact that TDF split the
community from OOo. Sure, Oracle is the perceived villain and TDF the
perceived good guy, but it doesn't change the fact that OOo created the
community in the first place.

Fact: Your employer provoked the split, by a absolute
"non-communication" on the existing mailinglist.
Now, to say that TDF has split the Communtiy is dishonest!
Forking splits communities. Whether you feel you had a justified reason for
doing so does not change this fact. I am not weighing in on whether it is
right or wrong in this case, since I think that is immaterial to where we
are now.

That's an example of denial. I do not see a conductive environment here
if such attitudes are tolerated.

I am only going by the "facts" as presented on the various Apache mailing
lists. If it is true that TDF was engaged by Oracle/IBM before the Apache
proposal, but failed to come to terms, then I cannot see how one can claim
that the Apache proposal was merely an attempt to split the community.

You should read more about free and open-source software, from diverse sources.
Get a lwn.net subscription.

Similar example, there was XFree86 long time ago that behaved just
like the Oracle developers.
Then, it was forked into X.Org and everyone moved to X.Org.
XFree86 is a distant memory.

Ok, forget the first part of what I originally said, since it doesn't really matter and apparently it prevents any discussion of the second part...

The second part was, was TDF actually engaged and failed to come to terms or not? That is what I've read, so I accepted this as true.

If so, do you actually believe the Apache proposal is just a stick in the eye of the TDF by Oracle/IBM because they were angry they couldn't come to terms? Or do you believe that because they couldn't come to terms they created this proposal to form their own community of like-minded people?

I would have to assume the latter, not the former.

-> richard

Simos