On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org> wrote:
> On 6/6/11 11:26, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Richard S. Hall<he...@ungoverned.org>
>>  wrote:

>>> Forking splits communities. Whether you feel you had a justified reason
>>> for
>>> doing so does not change this fact. I am not weighing in on whether it is
>>> right or wrong in this case, since I think that is immaterial to where we
>>> are now.
>>>
>> That's an example of denial. I do not see a conductive environment here
>> if such attitudes are tolerated.
>>
>>> I am only going by the "facts" as presented on the various Apache mailing
>>> lists. If it is true that TDF was engaged by Oracle/IBM before the Apache
>>> proposal, but failed to come to terms, then I cannot see how one can
>>> claim
>>> that the Apache proposal was merely an attempt to split the community.
>>>
>> You should read more about free and open-source software, from diverse
>> sources.
>> Get a lwn.net subscription.
>>
>> Similar example, there was XFree86 long time ago that behaved just
>> like the Oracle developers.
>> Then, it was forked into X.Org and everyone moved to X.Org.
>> XFree86 is a distant memory.
>>

> Ok, forget the first part of what I originally said, since it doesn't really
> matter and apparently it prevents any discussion of the second part...
>
> The second part was, was TDF actually engaged and failed to come to terms or
> not? That is what I've read, so I accepted this as true.

Double fault.

I suppose you rather wanted to say “TDF actually engaged [with Oracle]
[but the negotiations] failed to [to reach an agreement]”.

My personal interpretation:
1. Oracle wanted to give away OpenOffice.org, even transfer the copyrights.
2. The TDF is really happy to receive OpenOffice.org, as a copyleft
project (LGPLv3+MPLv2).
3. [lots of cheap speculation, 1p each] There might be an agreement
between IBM and Oracle/Sun
for access to the OOo source code for the proprietary Lotus Symphony,
so Oracle had to oblige to IBM
and go to the Apache Foundation. Or, less interestingly, ODF/OOo is a
huge investment inside IBM
that they would rather not relinquish control and ability to create
proprietary products.
4. A lot of people unhappy.

Simos