On 2/6/2001 at 11:33 AM Morgan Delagrange wrote:
> Much of Struts deals with servlets, but Struts also provides
frameworks for XML parsing and database pooling, correct?

Only to the extent that they simplify working with the Struts
ActionServlet, which is the core of the framework.

> I'm not arguing for Jakarta becoming the one giant Java project, I'm
just saying that a Servlet-oriented charter is too inflexible. I'd
rather see a charter that focuses on Java servers and related tools
(and I think Ant in particular may not fit, but that's another
argument).

Judging from the recent PMC minutes, the current argument does seem to
be for one giant Java project (just strike the word Servlet).

I'm a divide-and-conquer guy myself, but if simply keeping Java-Apache
up, and shuffling things around is a non-starter, then I'd say we are
back to "formalization of the subproject hierarchy" (from the PMC
minutes) along the lines of Servlet API, Templates, Development Tools,
Frameworks, Server Applications.

Though, I'm not sure what the process of "formalization" would entail.

-- Tel 716 425-0252; Fax 716 223-2506.
-- http://www.husted.com/about/struts/