At 16:01 06.02.2001 -0500, you wrote:
>On 2/6/2001 at 9:13 PM Ceki Gülcü wrote:
>
>>What would be gained by refining the charter of Jakarta and pruning
>projects?
>
>Roy Fielding has indicated that some action is necessary. His two
>suggestions were to either ask the board to create additional PMCs, or
>to broaden the scope of the existing PMC.
>
>> What decisions does the PMC take?
>
>Part of the problem is that the ASF PMC's are a recent invention, so no
>one is entirely sure how they should work
>
>We are working on that as part of the update to the guidelines at <
>http://jakarta.apache.org/site/proposal.html#management >.

Thanks for the link. Here is an excerpt from that document:

 Responsibilities of the PMC include:

 - the active discussion of Project issues, strategic direction, and forward progress,

 - the consideration and approval of new subprojects,

 - retiring inactive subprojects and Committers as necessary,

 - arbitrating otherwise intractable disputes regarding subproject voting and vetos,

 - the security and reliability of the Project's Web site, mailing
 lists, code repositories, and related services,

 - legal issues involving the Project and its subprojects, and
 maintaining Project and subproject scope as chartered by the ASF corporation

As I understand it, the main responsibility of the PMC is to decide whether to include
a sub-project under the Jakarta label and possibly act as an arbitrator in case of
conflicts within a sub-project. There is also the task of managing the Jakarta
web-site + mailing lists but that is probably less strategic a task (read: a chore). :)

My guess is that when all strictly sub-project related tasks are delegated to the
committers, the PMC could fulfill its role even in the presence of many, say 10 to 20
sub-projects. Am I missing anything obvious? Cheers, Ceki

----
Ceki Gülcü           e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (preferred)
av. de Rumine 5              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CH-1005 Lausanne
Switzerland            Tel: ++41 21 351 23 15