Sam,

>>What rules do you want changed?
>>
>>1) Apache considering that GUI apps are legitimate targets for ASF
>>attentions.
>>2) If jakarta is not the place, then a foundary for GUI apps/comps/tools
>>

>These rules don't seem to be present in my copy, can you point me to where
>I can find them?  ;-)

OK OK, I'm talking from position of ignorance.

>>Perhaps I am foolish in that I think this is a forgone conclusion? (i.e.
>>will be voted down by jakarta-general for (1) and PMC for (2) )
>>

>Nothing is a foregone conclusion.  Quoting from "www.apache.org":
>
>   The Apache Software Foundation provides support for the Apache community
>   of open-source software projects. The Apache projects are characterized
>   by a collaborative, consensus based development process, an open and
>   pragmatic software license, and a desire to create high quality software
>   that leads the way in its field. We consider ourselves not simply a
>   group of projects sharing a server, but rather a community of developers
>   and users.
>
>I see absolutely nothing there that would preclude GUI apps.

:-)

>>>Warning: that's a trick question.  If you want to take initiative and move
>>>jesktop to sourceforge, you will ultimately be successful.  If you want to
>>>take initiative and build a community for jesktop here within Apache, you
>>>will ultimately be successful.  If you want to take initiative and work to
>>>get a rule changed you will ultimately be successful.
>>>
>>>The only think you will find that you don't have control over is the number
>>>of hours in a day.
>>>
>>Three assertions - a, b & c.  (a) true, (b) subject to project-status
>>and 1 above, (c) subject to 2 above.
>>

>Apache and Jakarta get proposals all the time that are of the form "if only
>these codebases were part of the Jakarta or Apache, then certainly they
>would attract a community".  Such proposals generally get politely turned
>away.

True, it is too much of a risk of course.

>>You really think there is a real possibility to stay here and flourish?
>>

>Actually, no.  At least not given the information you have provided before.
>Specifically, the comment about being "sidetracked with Enterprise Object
>Broker and AltRMI (and would be with AvalonDB if I had time)."  But this
>has nothing to do with a, b, *OR* c above.

Ahh, now.  I work in fits and spurts like others.

Enterprise Object broker (206Kb runtime) now has two example
applications that are published internally to other beans and externally
to other things including a test client.  It does all this without
RemoteException (all beans are local and remote).  Shortly I'll complete
a demo servlet that EOB will push to Hendrik Schreiber's Jo! webserver
that is also in the Phoenix VM.

AltRMI is a core work of the moment because EOB uses it.

I'd back burner both and AvalonDB to have Jesktop as a top-level Jakarta
project.  This morning as a consequence of this thread to independant
developers has contacted me to discuss the differences between Jesktop
an their independantly developed efforts.  There are some license (in
the case of one) and architecture (the other) differences that I'm sure
will be overcome, so that some commonality will be found.  The last
thing we want is a KDE / Gnome split at an early stage of a
desktop/window manager/gui app server.

>I can't resist closing this with the following:
>
>   In "The Wizard of Oz", Dorothy is lost in Oz and longs for home. She
>   visits the Wizard, who gives her a task that she must perform (killing
>   the Wicked Witch) before he will help her. When she and her friends
>   accomplish this task, Dorothy comes back to the Wizard, only to discover
>   that he's a charlatan with no more powers than she. And, yet, he knows
>   much! The Wizard tells Dorothy that she has had the power to go home all
>   along--inside herself. All she has to do is click her ruby slippers
>   together saying, "There's no place like home."
>
>   Should the Wizard have told Dorothy when she first came to him that she
>   alone had the power to bring herself home? Would she have believed him?
>   Aren't we all looking for our Wizard, the Great Oz, Someone, Something,
>   that will have the answers and help us find home? We do not easily
>   accept that home can be found inside our own skin, or in the very house
>   we inhabit, or in the very lives we live. The path toward home begins
>   where we are, and only we can direct ourselves to it. And the only way
>   to comprehend that is to begin the journey outward, and inward, on our
>   own path toward home.
>
>;-)

Paths, yellow brick or otherwise, can sometimes be odd choices :-)  It
is often not correct to direct another on which path to take, even when
the journey has been completed by oneself.

- Paul