>Andy, not everyone grew up in Texas! :) I don't eat beef anymore (you know
>mad-cow disease and smallpox in the UK)

Dern Europeans ain' speaking proper 'merican.  Anyhow, just wait around
and you'll catch me speaking Spanish too.

>>I do not think the PMC should intervene just because the others
>>disagree.  This looks like an issue that is totally restricted to the
>>Tomcat community.  I don't understand the issue.  The system is working.
>>. .why raise a fuss elsewhere.  You have an issue with the standards and
>>you've vetoed the committership.  This seems to me to be exactly what is
>>supposed to happen...
>>

>Because it is the very first time that someone -1s a new committer. I've
>never seen it happening, and I want more feedback from all the different
>possible sources ever...
>
>I CCed members because I esteem the judgement and knowledge of every single
>one of them and I had _very_ good feedback from them, I CCed PMC because I'm
>utterly stupid and still I don't remember to use general@ for
>trivial/crossproject matters (and I welcome Costin's correction in
>forwarding it to the appropriate list)...
>
>>From general@ I want feedback as well, we're talking about it, several
>people responded, so I'm trying to challenge my own -1 with comments not
>only from the restricted group of Tomcat...

Okay...thats fine.  This Andy alarm was triggered because I thought you
were looking for creating a more top down organization.

>>So the system works!  Good news!
>>

>I still don't follow....

You veto'd.  That means the system work.  The standard is upheld.

>>Right but it should be up to ya'll tomcatters to work out your standards
>>amonst yerselves.  Thats my only issue.
>>

>Nope, because if I vote a committer in, I give him access to the Tomcat CVS
>repo, but I also entitle him to vote for the friggin' next PMC, and _YOU_ my
>friend, might not like my choice, right?

Just like if we were citizens of the same country and you brought a
child into the world.  That doesn't mean I should have a say in the
matter.  As I understand it, the PMC is here to serve the needs of the
different communities, not vice versa.  So Its perfectly logical for the
Tomcat folks to decide making someone a committer is in their best
interests and then by extension granting that person those rights to
vote their individiual interests as a way of further contributing to
Tomcat.

Philisopically this is federalism, or more closely "confederalism".

>>But its up to the Tomcat community.  The system works.  No action is
>>needed aside from that you've taken on the Tomcat list.
>>

>Maybe for _you_, not for _me_... Being utterly stupid, completely
>irresponsible, and definitely insecure, I need other people comments, not on
>the particular issue of _the_guy_ in se, but on a more general issue on
>_why_ I voted that way.

My opinion (just my 2c that SHOULD not count for any more than Pier is
interested) -- the system works.  If you felt uncomforable with this
person being a commiter, you should have voted -1.

>Ok, I should have voted -1 and then raised this all stuff in a _different_
>email to general, OK OK, I foobared up once more, but you guys should be
>used to it by now...

;-)

>Do you realize that when you give access to someone in _your_ community,
>you're opening a backdoor that entitles that person _ALSO_ to other
>"privileges" and that your decision will or could, at the end, affect other
>people that you don't even know?

Yes, again, back to the you're right to breed example...  Jakarta is a
community of communities.  The power flows bottom up.  Not top down.
 (in general, according to my limited viewpoint of the world)

>Worthless on the matter of making me change my vote FOR THAT PERSON
>SPECIFICALLY, maybe. Worthless to the idea of a better structured and
>integrated Jakarta-as-a-whole community? Hardly.

I am against a top-down decision process in bringing in new committers.
 There is such a process for bringing in new projects, and thats
probably the right thing to do.  But I'm in no position to know what a
person has done for Tomcat and whether he should get a vote in Tomcat.

As for the fact that that gives him some limited status and control in
the project as a whole, you're looking at that wrong in my opinion.  Its
Tomcat's right to grant him that power.  If Tomcat is misusing that
right, its up to you as a Tomcat committer with a binding vote to stop
them.  I think you did the right thing.

>>No, you voted -1.  They have a right to try and convince you to change
>>you vote, but the issue is decided.
>>

>The issue is not decided until the vote ends, and that means 3 days past the
>request for vote...

And you've voted -1.  They should try to convince you otherwise, but
*shrug*.

>Just one question, have you ever voted -1 on a committer? (and not just to
>you, but to every committer on this list).

I'm a sneaky b*stard.  I never propose anyone on list until I ask them
offlist if he wants to be a committer.  I apply the most patches and so
I generally propose most of the committers (based on how bad you've
inundated me with patches, I consider making you a committer a
punishment for making me do too much work :-p).  I have told people "no
you can't be a committer" or "you can ask but I'll vote -1" before, but
thats as far as it went.

I have been tempted once, there was one person who I thought really
should be made a committer, but I chose to abstain from the vote because
I was not prepared to air out the reasons why.

If I felt someone was being made a committer too quickly I certainly
would do the same as you and -1 them.

-Andy