"Andrew C. Oliver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Andy, not everyone grew up in Texas! :) I don't eat beef anymore (you know
>> mad-cow disease and smallpox in the UK)
>>
> Dern Europeans ain' speaking proper 'merican.  Anyhow, just wait around
> and you'll catch me speaking Spanish too.

No estas problema, chico! :)

>> From general@ I want feedback as well, we're talking about it, several
>> people responded, so I'm trying to challenge my own -1 with comments not
>> only from the restricted group of Tomcat...
>>
> Okay...thats fine.  This Andy alarm was triggered because I thought you
> were looking for creating a more top down organization.

Nope, I'm actually trying to figure out how commit access should be given,
but that will come later in another email...

>> Do you realize that when you give access to someone in _your_ community,
>> you're opening a backdoor that entitles that person _ALSO_ to other
>> "privileges" and that your decision will or could, at the end, affect other
>> people that you don't even know?
>>
> Yes, again, back to the you're right to breed example...  Jakarta is a
> community of communities.  The power flows bottom up.  Not top down.
> (in general, according to my limited viewpoint of the world)

Correct, indeed, that's why we elect people from the bottom to the top, for
example, to sit on the PMC, or (since I just closed the vote right now) on
the ASF board...

>> Worthless on the matter of making me change my vote FOR THAT PERSON
>> SPECIFICALLY, maybe. Worthless to the idea of a better structured and
>> integrated Jakarta-as-a-whole community? Hardly.
>>
> I am against a top-down decision process in bringing in new committers.

+1...

> There is such a process for bringing in new projects, and thats
> probably the right thing to do.

Yes, because our infrastructure is limited, and our scope is limited, we're
not SourceForge, right?

> But I'm in no position to know what a
> person has done for Tomcat and whether he should get a vote in Tomcat.

As I'm not in that position for POI...

> As for the fact that that gives him some limited status and control in
> the project as a whole, you're looking at that wrong in my opinion.  Its
> Tomcat's right to grant him that power.  If Tomcat is misusing that
> right, its up to you as a Tomcat committer with a binding vote to stop
> them.  I think you did the right thing.

But there might be cases in which we _want_ that to happen (I'll detail in a
further email I'm working on).

>> Just one question, have you ever voted -1 on a committer? (and not just to
>> you, but to every committer on this list).
>>
> I'm a sneaky b*stard.  I never propose anyone on list until I ask them
> offlist if he wants to be a committer.  I apply the most patches and so
> I generally propose most of the committers (based on how bad you've
> inundated me with patches, I consider making you a committer a
> punishment for making me do too much work :-p).  I have told people "no
> you can't be a committer" or "you can ask but I'll vote -1" before, but
> thats as far as it went.

That's good, you do most of the work, you _know_ the person you're dealing
with, you can propose him as a committer or not... You know what's going
on... Frankly in my case I didn't...

> I have been tempted once, there was one person who I thought really
> should be made a committer, but I chose to abstain from the vote because
> I was not prepared to air out the reasons why.

That's what happened last week with another committer vote on tomcat-dev
(same story), I didn't vote...

> If I felt someone was being made a committer too quickly I certainly
> would do the same as you and -1 them.

So you (at the end) agree :) Good! :) (And given me some valuable point for
the next step)...

    Pier

--
[Perl] combines all the worst aspects of C and Lisp:  a billion of different
sublanguages in  one monolithic executable.  It combines the power of C with