http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JakartaPOIAudits/20030205

Although its not official, I'm more or less the defacto current member in charge of oversight for Jakarta POI.

Because there seem to be questions on a number of projects as to their license usage, I thought it would be nice for me to go and audit POI voluntarily. Although I do not like such issues as licenses and other things, I realize that staying legitmate affects you my peers and all of Apache and I do this as a service to protect myself as well as all of you (you're welcome).

The Jakarta POI project uses the following:

under various subdirs of /lib
1. Commons Logging * (http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging.html) ASL
2. log4-j * (http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j) ASL
2. Xalan 2.2 ** (http://xml.apache.org/xalan) ASL
3. Xerces 2.2 ** (http://xml.apache.org/xerces) ASL

Although the following are not required for POI, they are used/provided by Centipede (http://krysalis.org/centipede) at build time and for generating our site:

under /tools/cents
1. Primarily these are centipede tools I am not delineating those as they are just part of centipede

2. checkstyle - LGPL (http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/) - I was unaware of this before the audit. Apparently Centipede uses this to produce this: http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/metrics/checkstyle/ - I do not personally find checkstyle useful but other developers on the project (namely Nicola ken) do.
It is my personal understanding that this is acceptable provided that POI does not directly reference them nor the jar include or require them. I would like direction from the board whether the use of build tools which use LGPL is OK (POI itself does not use LGPL). If the board requests I will disable the use of checkstyle (which will make Nicola Ken cry). Also I would like guidence on whether just leaving it out of our CVS repository and letting it be downloaded at build time is fine. (it is the build and not POI which is using it)

3. javasrc - NO LICENSE (public domain) - (http://home.austin.rr.com/kjohnston/javasrc.htm)

4. jdepend - BSD - (http://www.clarkware.com/software/JDepend.html)

5. junit - IBM CPL - (http://www.opensource.org/licenses/ibmpl.php)

6. umldoclet - Public Domain - (http://objectclub.esm.co.jp/uml-doclet/README)

* loaded optionally via some JVM parameters
** used for centipede and XML->Java record (value object of sorts) generation in the build

In summary, there are no controversial licensing issues for the Jakarta POI project itself. The only area of question is whether Centipede's use of LGPL libraries and POI's use of Centipede as a build tool constitutes a problem. We are eager to resolve this in the event the board sees this as a problem. It is our preference to continue using checkstyle unless there is an actual legal issue.

I appreciate your time and consideration in reviewing this audit. Because I value your time, I will keep this on the wiki and provide updates. You may find them here:

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JakartaPOIAudits