Costin Manolache wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>>There is a difference between a hierarchy and a confederation.  There

>>>This is nothing I would encourage.  There's really no question that
>>>it's legal.  But it does then make Jakarta a website, rather than a
>>>community, IMO.  I'd rather see the community.

As I said in a reply to a message from Henri, I think that each project
should be able to chose how it wants to participate in a PMC, so long as
oversight is provided by the choice.  But I still maintain that the web site
structure does not have to, and should not be forced to, reflect that
choice.

> Actually - it's jakarta PMC that does the oversight for Jakarta commons
> and all other jakarta subprojects.

Hence my use of the terms "de jure" and "de facto" in my message.  We have
not made them the same, yet, but since we intend to do so, I see no need to
debate the current status.  :-)

> All committers who are active in jakarta are are willing should be part
> of the jakarta PMC.  That's how things work in httpd and this is the
> right thing to do.

> If tapestry ( or any other sub-project )  doesn't feel like beeing part
> of a jakarta community or doesn't like oversight by the jakarta PMC - it
> is free to apply for top level status.

I agree with both of those points ... so long as the second choice does not
mean that the choosing project must relocate its web presence, although it
may choose to do so.

> IMO it would be sad if projects like struts or tapestry leave jakarta -
> since they are closely related to web development and "server side" java

Agreed.  So are we agree that if one of them chooses to form its own PMC, we
won't force them out of Jakarta?  :-)

        --- Noel