Yes, Noel. i have the same feeling that Stephen has:

"it seems likely (based on emails to the thread from Tomcat
committers) that this PR release would have been a non-issue. "

So the tomcat committers would be doing it on their own terms. with no
one pushing them. Quote from Mladen's email:

"so many Chairmans and Directors with opposite statements"

Quote from Costin's email makes me think that they are ready for it:

"If tomcat would be a top level project instead of jakarta-tomcat,
most likely Remy would be the PMC chair. Acording to ASF rules, the
PMC chair is the ultimate decision maker for a project."

And i love the quote from Remy:

""more code, less politics"

So i'd say what is the benchmark for TLP? If the tomcat committers
want it and show the will to do it. Why not?

The only question in my mind is do they want it?

thanks,
dims