Hello Henri,

I'm one of those whom it concerns: committer but not PMC.

> So being on a PMC means that your legal protection is something you're
> supposed to be proactive about

Meaning that a PMC member should get an insurance that covers the cost
of lawsuits, or contact a lawyer right away to discuss the legal
implications of a lawsuit that might be filed in a different country,
or what?

> I'm of the opinion that if we have a committer who doesn't want to be on
> the pmc, [...], that that committer should become a contributor again.

Meaning that because I don't want to get an insurance or contact a
lawyer proactively, all the code I submit has to be checked in by
another committer, of whom we have too few anyway in HttpComponents?

I hope I got you all wrong, because the way I understand it,
your proposal sounds really bad.

cheers,
  Roland