On 5/22/07, Craig McClanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
PS:  Yes, of course, there are passionate believers in the development
of particular libraries.  Are there enough to make a viable community
for *any* of the libraries on their own?  Or enough that care about
the Commons ecosystem as a whole to satisfy Apache's notions of
"community"?  It is not clear to me (any longer) that a "commons" type
environment fits Apache culture (as it is currently being discussed)
at all.

You're right, it probably doesn't. Towards that end, we should encourage
Commons components with robust communities to apply for top-level
status, so that they can report directly to the Board and have their
own mailing lists. The "one list" rule is a great equalizer and should
help keep the Commons from becoming another Jakarta.

To support smaller communities throughout the ASF, we may need to
adjust our notion of Committer and PMC Member to include not only
people who can write and apply patches, but to embrace power users
too.

-Ted.