Hi Stephen,

Stephen Colebourne wrote on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 2:43 PM:

[snip]

> In summary:
> a) I believe the status quo is not viable
> b) I believe that merging commons into Jakarta merges two
> mismatched groups
> c) I believe that commons is big enough and strong enough to be a TLP
>
> So, I support Apache Commons TLP - Just as Tomcat grew up and
> left the Jakarta brand name, so should Commons. But we should
> assert our right for that to be Java only - we really did get
> the name first, and the commons community (one-list, one-pmc)
> is fundamentally tied to Java.

The point is (b). Is it really that different: A merged jakarta commons vs.
commons alone? Commons has also some projects with different weight. Compare
lang and digester. Any current Jakarta project that feels uneasy with such an
absorbtion (possibly HttpComponnets, Taglibs ??), may head for an own TLP. All
the others will not make much difference - since there are view committers left
and most of them have dwindling communities. Additionally most of the left ones
fit quite good into commons like oro, regexp, ECS, ...

- Jörg