Mark Loeser wrote:
Ryan Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
a) Keep use.desc as it is: a list of common flags and a short general description of their meaning.

Sounds good.

b) Keep use.local.desc as it is: a list of per-package flags that are specific to one to a few ebuilds (i think 5 is the number though i think 10 is more appropriate, but that's not relevant to this discussion). Again, each has a short description.

Also fine.

c) Allow flags from use.desc to also exist in use.local.desc. In the case that a flag for a package exists in both, the use.local.desc description overrides the use.desc one. This allows a more specific per-package description of global flags.

Still doing alright :)

d) Allow long descriptions in a package's metadata.xml, as some have begun to do already, for cases where more info is needed. For example I'd like to explain exactly what the bindist flag on freetype does and what legal implications disabling it can have.

Why can't this be done in use.local.desc?

My expectation is that `grep "flag" use.local.desc` will give me a list of packages using that flag (or having it in the description), one per line. Putting paragraphs in there doesn't seem right.

--
fonts,                                            by design, by neglect
gcc-porting,                              for a fact or just for effect