On Sunday 08 November 2009 19:24:47 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Sunday 08 November 2009 13:10:34 Patrick Lauer wrote:

> > > Do you mean that whatever you commit to the tree is not your
> > > responsibility? Sorry but it's your job.
> >
> > I make things work. Cosmetics are quite low on my list of priorities.
> > Feel free to fix such things.
> > All "my" packages are free for all to bump, fix and extend, as long as
> >  whoever touched it is willing to fix any issues that happen from it.
>
> using this definition of "correct" (the package installs w/out failure and
>  it seems to work), there is a lot of crap that could be in the tree.  that
>  doesnt mean the ebuild should be in the tree.  this kind of work and
>  opinion belongs in sunrise, not the main tree.
I hope you realize what percentage of packages are completely unmaintained or
only tangentially maintained. By that reasoning we better cut out everything
apart from the base system, xorg, kde and gnome. Oh, and python. (If I missed
anyone here, please don't take this personal. It's a reductio ad absurdum I'm
doing here, so it better be absurd!)

If you haven't noticed (here's a really hilarious one!) ...
We currently do not have anyone seriously maintaining all the perl bits.
There's, uhm, ... err ... there used to be Tove, who did an awesome job.

I took over benchmark and forensics herd because they were empty, not because
I care about those packages.

sgml and ha-cluster herds are quite vacant as far as I can tell.

bugwranglers are understaffed and can barely keep up with the current flood
from our motivated and skillfull bug-finding users.

So maybe now you understand my mentality of just fixing whatever bugs I
encounter. I don't care at all about your idealistic views of how we were to
do things if everything worked. Reality doesn't tolerate it well. Bugs happen,
and we better start fixing them.

>  we dont have a QA team to
>  fix installed packages; they're here to maintain the *quality* of the
>  tree.
That's good. So start fixing stuff. Maybe take over the empty herds until you
manage to recruit some replacements.

If you feel you have too much time you could search on bugzilla for "patch"
and start fixing those bugs. "Bump" is also a funny search.

Or if you don't know what else to do, there's this nice "Bug Wranglers" search
at the bottom of the bugzilla pages. Click on it and get the amount of bugs in
the bugwrangler queue under 100 if you can!

Once you've done that for 3 months we can renegotiate cosmetic bugs and QA.

Kthxbai,

Patrick