On Sunday 08 November 2009 20:27:23 Mark Loeser wrote:
> Patrick Lauer <patr...@gentoo.org> said:
> > If you feel you have too much time you could search on bugzilla for
> > "patch" and start fixing those bugs. "Bump" is also a funny search.
>
> If you are just bumping random packages and applying patches when you
> have no idea how the package works, we have a problem on our hands.
> Please don't do that, you are only making more work for others.  Perhaps
> some of the things that are not maintained should go away.

Like Perl? I like your plan already.

> > Once you've done that for 3 months we can renegotiate cosmetic bugs and
> > QA.
>
> Renegotiate QA?  Do not commit anything to the tree that doesn't comply
> to QA standards.  Its really that simple.  Don't be lazy and do things
> the right way, or don't do them at all.

That is an interesting opinion. But I doubt we're in a position to demand such
things - I did point at a few minor issues in my last email, none of which you
responded to in any way. So I guess you prefer things being unmaintained and
rotting away so our users have the shittiest user experience possible instead
of people trying to make things better.

Now if you really were interested in QA you might want to do some things -
like help bugwranglers. With the current amount of people available (not
enough) and the influx of bugs (100-200 a day) we have a latency of worst case
a few days until a bugwrangler looks at it. (Average case is much better).
That is time the maintainers are not informed of a bug, which means we delay
fixing it. Sucks from a QA point of view.

Things like that would be good to have, but instead y'all spend lots of time
discussing on mailinglists and not helping there. (Ok, we're all volunteers,
we all have limited time, etc. etc.) So I find it a bit hard to care about
your academic discussion of how to handle things when I haven't heard any idea
of a solution to the problems I mentioned earlier. Head-in-the-sand is not
going to work.

And again, start at the basics. You can't build a tower without a solid
foundation. "Does it compile" is more important than "does it respect as-
needed" or "is indentation beautiful", so prioritize a bit and focus on
getting the big problems resolved.

Take care,

Patrick