Hi.

On 29-10-2010 11:03, Markos Chandras wrote:
> Hi
>
> I don't know how many of you are using these profiles. I would like to
> propose a couple of changes
>
> 1) I want to drop the warning message located on profile.bashrc files
> e.g $PORTDIR/default/linux/amd64/10.0/server/profile.bashrc
> It is more than obvious what this profile is for so I don't think this
> message makes any sense.

I've always taken the message about the server profiles not being
properly tested as a warning that anyone wanting to run a "secure"
server profile should use one of the hardened profiles.
If so, I'd leave that warning alone until we get enough people working
on the server profiles so we can make any promises about it.

> 2) Furthermore I would like to drop the following use flags from default
> IUSE
>
> -apache2
> -ldap
>
> A minimal server installation does requires neither apache2 nor ldap

Although one can install a server without apache or ldap, I'd say the
server profile seems the natural choice to have them enabled.
If we had the statistics for it, we could check how many people have
apache installed with that profile vs not having it. As there's nothing
preventing one from having USE="-apache2 -ldap" when required and I
don't use the server profiles, I don't really have a strong opinion
about this.

- --
Regards,

Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections / RelEng