Am 30.10.2010 03:37, schrieb Donnie Berkholz:
> On 15:46 Fri 29 Oct     , Thomas Sachau wrote:
>> Which raises the question, if those people, who want to install a
>> minimal server will mostly use apache or something different. And
>> especially for minimal setups, i dont think that apache will be the
>> first choice, so i agree with the removal of those USE flags from
>> default IUSE. The profile is intended to have a minimal set of flags,
>> i would call apache an additional optional flag, not a default option
>> for minimal server setups.
>
> I'm not sure when this transition happened, as profile USE flags have
> traditionally been a reasonable default set rather than a minimal set.
> This gives people who don't have much experience with Gentoo a decent
> chance at getting a working system on their first try. For people who
> have more experience, it's not exactly difficult to change things.

If i remember it right, the server profile was created for those people, who
only want a minimum
amount of default profile enabled USE flags (so no desktop profile because of
that), but on the
other side dont want to do the additional work/checks/reading for hardened
profiles (which have much
less profile enabled USE flags, but also have the special gcc, glibc and
Kernel), basicly a profile,
which does the same as hardened profile without the specific hardened bits.

--
Thomas Sachau

Gentoo Linux Developer