Am 29.10.2010 14:13, schrieb Petteri Räty:
> On 29.10.2010 15.02, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
>

>>> 2) Furthermore I would like to drop the following use flags from default
>>> IUSE
>>
>>> -apache2
>>> -ldap
>>
>>> A minimal server installation does requires neither apache2 nor ldap
>>
>> Although one can install a server without apache or ldap, I'd say the
>> server profile seems the natural choice to have them enabled.
>> If we had the statistics for it, we could check how many people have
>> apache installed with that profile vs not having it. As there's nothing
>> preventing one from having USE="-apache2 -ldap" when required and I
>> don't use the server profiles, I don't really have a strong opinion
>> about this.
>>

> And enabling a use flag should be question of is it wanted when a
> package actually support those flags. On a server when you are
> installing a package with a apache use flag it's certainly possible to
> you would like to have it enabled more often than not.
>
> Regards,
> Petteri

Which raises the question, if those people, who want to install a minimal
server will mostly use
apache or something different. And especially for minimal setups, i dont think
that apache will be
the first choice, so i agree with the removal of those USE flags from default
IUSE.
The profile is intended to have a minimal set of flags, i would call apache an
additional optional
flag, not a default option for minimal server setups.

--
Thomas Sachau

Gentoo Linux Developer