On 7/10/19 11:14 PM, William Hubbs wrote:

> I don't want to remove sysvinit by default. If you want to remove it,
> you can, but I don't want to force that issue. That's why I don't want
> to turn the use flag on by default like systemd does.

After re-reading the bug report and sleeping on this... doesn't the USE
flag alone achieve your goals?

If you add USE=sysv-utils to OpenRC and change RDEPEND from

  RDEPEND="... sys-apps/sysvinit ... "

  RDEPEND="... sysv-utils? ( !sys-apps/sysvinit )
               !sysv-utils? ( sys-apps/sysvinit ) ... "

then by default, OpenRC will pull in sys-apps/sysvinit, and use its
implementations of init/shutdown. Then later if someone wants to get rid
of sys-apps/sysvinit, he has the option to uninstall sys-apps/sysvinit
and then re-emerge OpenRC with USE=sysv-utils.