On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 09:01:16AM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> On 7/10/19 11:14 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
> >
> > I don't want to remove sysvinit by default. If you want to remove it,
> > you can, but I don't want to force that issue. That's why I don't want
> > to turn the use flag on by default like systemd does.
> >

> After re-reading the bug report and sleeping on this... doesn't the USE
> flag alone achieve your goals?
>
> If you add USE=sysv-utils to OpenRC and change RDEPEND from
>
>   RDEPEND="... sys-apps/sysvinit ... "

>   RDEPEND="... sysv-utils? ( !sys-apps/sysvinit )
>                !sysv-utils? ( sys-apps/sysvinit ) ... "
>
> then by default, OpenRC will pull in sys-apps/sysvinit, and use its
> implementations of init/shutdown. Then later if someone wants to get rid
> of sys-apps/sysvinit, he has the option to uninstall sys-apps/sysvinit
> and then re-emerge OpenRC with USE=sysv-utils.

Sort of, but not quite. OpenRC doesn't really have an rdepend on
sysvinit at all; it is the other way around. /etc/inittab is part of
sysvinit, not openrc and this is how openrc and sysvinit are used
together. It could be argued that our sysvinit package should have the
rdepend on openrc.

But, if I do that, I need to make sure that sysvinit is installed by
default, that is one reason I'm thinking about virtual/init.

A service manager is separate from the init process, so that is also why
virtual/init should be a thing. The service manager does not have to be
in the same package as the init process.

William