Am Dienstag, 23. Juli 2019, 04:00:07 CEST schrieb Kent Fredric:
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 21:08:51 -0400
> Aaron Bauman <b...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > 1. I want some documentation
> > 2. It doesn't ship from upstream (without crazy extra deps)
> > 3. Gentoo guy hooked me up and packaged it pre-built with it
> > 4. Thanks!
>
> The proposal as-stated is:
>
> 1. Documentation requires even 1 additional dep
> 2. Thou may not use a USE flag for this
> 3. Thus, if you want to elide the dependency from *any* merge graph,
>    you must elide it from *all* merge graphs.
> 4. Thus, you must locally perform some non-standard hackery that will
>    be different for every package to produce these, work out where to put
>    it which is also not standardised, and also prohibit the user from
>    being able to update these themselves via a revision bump, _AND_ you
>    will need to put in place non-standard mechanisms to ensure it gets
>    updated when you update the package, in order for the documentation
>    not to diverge from the sources.
What about a compromise?:
Deliver a (prebuild) manpage as package maintainer by default, but keep
a use flag "man-build" (or whatever) that builds the man page for everyone
(also the maintainer herself)  with use of the crazy extra deps. So a user can
do (incomplete) version bumps and gets a manpage and the maintainer
gets the prebuild manpage in a defined way.

> There's a lot of "Ummmm, thats bad" in point 4.
>
> Hence, counter-proposals are trying to look at a way to achieve points
> 2 & 3 in your list, without resorting to barbaric torture and inherent
> fragility.
>
> We understand the /achieve, but the mechanism proposed doesn't suit, as
> stated.

Regards,
Gerion