> On 5 Jul 2022, at 04:24, Ionen Wolkens <io...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jul 04, 2022 at 10:53:41PM -0400, Ionen Wolkens wrote:

>>> Personally I think something per-maintainer rather than per package
>>> would be simpler, and allow to say more as needed.
>>
>> ... and that could also extend to projects so can clarify policy in
>> a single place that's easy to find.
>>
>> Like base-system@ probably do not want random uninformed commits,
>> but games@, sound@, and such?
>
> Also, for projects, presenting it more as exception rules makes sense.
> Especially for all these semi-random understaffed projects, there's
> really a handful that would have some "do nots".
>

>>> Think like devaway instructions, but something more permanent and
>>> not for being away, e.g.
>>> "feel free to touch my packages except this big important one, and
>>> or do or do not do this to them"
>
> -'or do' :eyes:
>
> To add more as an example, personally I don't mind non-maintainer commits
> but don't particularly want people to start full on bumping my packages
> when I /do/ intend to handle them in a timely fashion and probably had
> plans for them, perhaps even already a local WIP ebuild and such. So
> I'd likely have something along these lines. A simple tag feels like a
> bit too "free for all".

You've nailed something I was wondering about but couldn't
really articulate.

The only time I really care/don't want someone to do it:
- a package genuinely is snowflakey (which is the exception), like it's somehow
fragile
- the situation is as you described

Almost makes one wonder about per-package notes again, although
it wouldn't fix the issue wrt projects.

Best,
sam