Marcel Romijn wrote: > I want my Epia VIA board to act as a network appliance that produces > music. > > Using GNAP, I can make a disk image on a CF from which the board boots. > Works out-of-the-box !!
Good ! > When I exchange the CF with a regular harddisk, I can install Gentoo > with ALSA and it plays music (following > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml). > Now I want the board to boot from CF with ALSA enabled. I can see that > during booting with the GNAP kernel, my sound interface is recognized. > So I don't have to modify the kernel. > Am I correct in assuming that the driver for my sound interface is > compiled as module? No. The GNAP kernel config does not include sound capabilities. It recognizes your hardware but ignores it : # CONFIG_SOUND is not set So you will need three things: 1/ replace the kernel by one that supports sound (making a kernpackage from the one in your hard-disk-that-works and use gnap_remaster with it should do the trick). 2/ add any software needed to play sound. You probably will need to make an extension with alsa-utils (which will pull all the others required deps) and remaster a core with it included. 3/ Boot the resulting GNAP system, run alsaconf to configure everything. When everything is configured properly, copy the resulting configuration files to make an configuration overlay with them, so that you can produce preconfigured GNAP systems directly. Don't forget to add "alsasound" to the START_SERVICES parameter in overlay.conf... Best of luck. -- Koon -- [email protected] mailing list
