> > 
> >
------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------
> > From: Thierry Carrez [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Sent: Tue 8/30/2005 8:34 PM
> > To: [email protected]
> > Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Network appliance with sound
> > 
> > 
> > See the GNAP Advanced User Guide : the kernel.config file is located
in
> > the specs directory (which you should find in /usr/lib/gnap).
> 
> Yup. I emerged gnap-dev and I found the kernel configuration.
> I created a new kernel based on the gnap kernel configuration, but
then modified for my processor family, ALSA and my sound interface.
> Creating an ISO with it worked without problems and the machine nicely
boots from it!!!
> 
> 'dmesg' shows me that it has ALSA enabled and shows my sound
interface.
> 
> Thanks for the pointers!!!
> 
> Next on my list is your second suggestion: remaster a gnap core with
the alsa-utils as extension.

Sorry to bother you again with this...

I have tried to remaster a gnap core with a alsa-utils.

'ebuild'-ing the alsa-utils:
# ebuild /usr/portage/media-sound/alsa-utils/alsa-utils-1.0.9a.ebuild
install

Making the extension:
# cd /var/tmp/portage/alsa-utils-1.0.9a/image
# tar -cjvf /usr/lib/gnap/extensions/gnapext_alsa-utils.tbz2 *

Remaster the core with the modified kernel and the alsa-util extension:
#gnap_remaster -k kernel.tar.bz2 -m modules.tar.bz2 -e alsa-utils -o
newcore.tar

Then I can create my boot image:
# gnap_overlay -g newcore.tar ....

This boots nicely and running Gentoo has all the built files from
alsa-utils. However, they won't work.
In my enthausiasm I forgot that alsa-utils is probably depending on
other packages.

And indeed:

# emerge --pretend --emptytree --tree alsa-utils

    These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:

    Calculating dependencies  ...done!
    [ebuild  N    ] media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.9a
    [ebuild  N    ]  dev-util/dialog-1.0.20050206
    [ebuild  N    ]  sys-apps/pciutils-2.1.11-r5
    [ebuild  N    ]  media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.9
    [ebuild  N    ]   media-sound/alsa-headers-1.0.9b
    [ebuild  N    ]   sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r9
    [ebuild  N    ]    sys-devel/make-3.80-r2
    [ebuild  N    ]    sys-apps/sed-4.1.4
    [ebuild  N    ]     sys-devel/gettext-0.14.4
    [ebuild  N    ]      sys-libs/glibc-2.3.5-r1
    [ebuild  N    ]       sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.11-r2
    [ebuild  N    ]       sys-devel/gcc-3.3.5.20050130-r1
    [ebuild  N    ]        sys-devel/binutils-2.15.92.0.2-r10
    [ebuild  N    ]         sys-devel/binutils-config-1.8-r5
    [ebuild  N    ]          app-shells/bash-3.0-r12
    [ebuild  N    ]        sys-libs/zlib-1.2.3
    [ebuild  N    ]        sys-apps/texinfo-4.8
    [ebuild  N    ]        sys-devel/gnuconfig-20050324
    [ebuild  N    ]        sys-devel/gcc-config-1.3.11-r4
    [ebuild  N    ]        sys-devel/bison-1.875d
    [ebuild  N    ]         sys-devel/m4-1.4.3
    [ebuild  N    ]        sys-libs/ncurses-5.4-r6
    [ebuild  N    ]         sys-libs/gpm-1.20.1-r4
    [ebuild  N    ]     sys-devel/patch-2.5.9

I assume that some of these will probably already be available in the
original GNAP core.
But some of them I need to add.

What would be the best way to figure out which ones are already in the
original GNAP core and which ones I need to add?
Also, is there a way to 'ebuild' alsa-utils and its dependencies in one
go?

Again, thanks for the help so far..!

Marcel Romijn


-- 
[email protected] mailing list

Reply via email to