> -----Original Message-----
> From: Thierry Carrez [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
> Sent: Monday, 29 August, 2005 13:50
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Network appliance with sound
> 
> 
> No. The GNAP kernel config does not include sound capabilities. It
> recognizes your hardware but ignores it :
> 
> # CONFIG_SOUND is not set

Ah...

> So you will need three things:
> 
> 1/ replace the kernel by one that supports sound (making a kernpackage
> from the one in your hard-disk-that-works and use 
> gnap_remaster with it
>  should do the trick).

I used genkernel, with the --minkernpackage and --modulespackage
options, to create a kernel.tar.bz2 and modules.tar.bz2. This has
support for ALSA and my sound interface. With gnap_remaster I created a
new core.

However, since I did not have my setup ready for CF, I tested it by
using gnap_overlay to create an ISO. Booting from the ISO resulted in
the following:

<snip>
>> Mounting squashfs filesystem
mount: Mounting /newroot/mnt/cdrom/livecd.squash on /newroot/mnt/livecd
failed: No such device
</snip>

After that, it shows some collateral damage ending in a kernel panic for
not finding /bin/sh

Could this be caused by a badly burned CD-RW? Or is there something else
wrong?

> 2/ add any software needed to play sound. You probably will 
> need to make
> an extension with alsa-utils (which will pull all the others required
> deps) and remaster a core with it included.

Here I was wondering...

How can I emerge alsa-utils in such a way that I know which files it
pulled down?
If I just do an 'emerge alsa-utils', the files will end up in my
development environment. Is there a way to isolate where the emerged
files end up? Is it a chroot trick?
 
> 3/ Boot the resulting GNAP system, run alsaconf to configure 
> everything.
> When everything is configured properly, copy the resulting 
> configuration
> files to make an configuration overlay with them, so that you can
> produce preconfigured GNAP systems directly. Don't forget to add
> "alsasound" to the START_SERVICES parameter in overlay.conf...
> 
> Best of luck.

Thanks...!

Looks like I might need it ;-)

> -- 
> Koon
> -- 
> [email protected] mailing list
> 

Marcel Romijn

-- 
[email protected] mailing list

Reply via email to