Hi Robert,

On April 3, 2003 05:17 pm, Robert Spahr wrote:

[snipped]

> You seemed to miss my point completely. I did not mean that an easier
> installer would dumb gentoo down.
>
> Making a CD of binaries issued every 6 months, and rejecting the portage
> system would be missing a large part of what makes gentoo so interesting.

Sorry Robert.  I stand corrected.  I think I took one sentence out of your
post and went off in left field with it :).

Rejecting the portage system in my mind is definitely not good.  It's one of
the best things Gentoo has going for it.  A CD of binaries might be nice too
but not really what I had in mind since compiling programs is really no big
deal once one has a working Gentoo system.

With "nice -n 15 emerge..." one can compile in the background and hardly skip
a beat.

I think in the future I will have to take a breather, step back, and calmly
evaluate what is said rather than coming back with a knee jerk reaction.
It's just that when I see anything that seems like more of the "let's not
make Gentoo as easy to use as possible" because it's strictly for "power
users" or "good enough for us" philosophy coming through, I tend to jump on
my soapbox and start preaching to the gurus :)

No disrespect to any gurus intended.

Sorry about that.

Carlos
www.internetsuccess.ca .