Seems to me the spirit of Gentoo is not to 'compete' with redhat or any other
distribution.

Being more a meta-distribution allows the user to control what they have on
there machine. That and the portage systems keeps my machine up to date with
the software I choose to install. It also allows me to avoid rpm dependency
nightmares. (Anyone remember what it was like installing Xine on RedHat?)

If a company can not understand those issues, (Linux != RedHat) they should
stick with Redhat, and more power to them. But to expect Gentoo to become
like RedHat seems to me a way of limiting choice.

Educate the companies.. do not dumb down Gentoo!

my 2 cents

- --

Robert Spahr
http://www.brainwrench.com