On 25 June 2014 07:05:03 CEST, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>J. Roeleveld wrote:
>> On 25 June 2014 01:09:03 CEST, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> I run this test every once in a while.  How bad is this:
>>>
>>> root@fireball / # smartctl -l selftest /dev/sdc
>>> smartctl 6.1 2013-03-16 r3800 [x86_64-linux-3.14.0-gentoo] (local
>>> build)
>>> Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke,
>>> www.smartmontools.org
>>>
>>> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
>>> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
>>> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
>>> LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
>>> # 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       60%
>>> 16365         2905482560
>>> # 2  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       60%
>>> 16352         2905482560
>>> # 3  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%
>>> 8044         -
>>> # 4  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%
>>> 3121         -
>>>
>>> And better yet, is there any way to tell it to not use that part and
>>> finish the test?  It seems it stopped when it got to that, or I
>think
>>> it
>>> did.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>
>>> :-)  :-)
>> Dale,
>>
>> Not sure how to get it to go past. Think that is in the firmware of
>the disk.
>>
>> I would start with making a backup first.
>>
>> --
>> Joost
>
>That's a 3TB drive.  I don't have anything big enough to back it up to.
>
>Is there anyway to find out if this error is really serious or just a
>run of the mill type error?  I would think that if it was a run of the
>mill error the drive would handle the error itself and I wouldn't even
>see it.  Something like marking the area as bad and just not trying to
>use it anymore, even for the test.
>
>Thanks.  Any advice is appreciated.  I need a hard drive guru.  ;-)
>
>Here is additional info:
>
>root@fireball / # hdparm -i /dev/sdc
>
>/dev/sdc:
>
> Model=ST3000DM001-9YN166, FwRev=CC4C, SerialNo=Z1F0PKT5
> Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs RotSpdTol>.5% }
> RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=4
> BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=unknown, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
> CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=5860533168
> IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
> PIO modes:  pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
> DMA modes:  mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
> UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 *udma6
> AdvancedPM=yes: unknown setting WriteCache=enabled
> Drive conforms to: unknown:  ATA/ATAPI-4,5,6,7
>
> * signifies the current active mode
>
>root@fireball / #
>

>Dale
>
>:-)  :-)

There are some options with smartctl you could try to force the drive to swap
that bad sector with a spare one.

A full disk read could also force that. Eg. Try ' dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/null '.

But, I usually order a replacement when Smart tests start throwing errors.

I know 3TB is a lot for you to have to backup, but it's also a lot of data to
loose...

--
Joost