On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 9:15 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> thegeezer wrote:
>> On 06/25/2014 08:49 AM, Dale wrote:

>>> thegeezer wrote:

>> this says there are 104 pending sectors i.e. bad blocks on the drive
>> that have not been reallocatd yet
>
> Wonder why it hasn't?  Isn't it supposed to do that sort of thing itself?

It can't relocate the sectors until it successfully reads them, or
until something else writes over them.

However, the last few drives I've had this happen to never really
relocated things.  If I scrubbed the drives mdadm would overwrite the
unreadable sectors, which should trigger a relocation, but then a day
or two later the errors would show up again.  So, the drive firmware
must be avoiding relocation or something.  Either that or there is a
large region of the drive that is failing (which would make sense) and
I was just playing whack-a-mole with the bad sectors.  In any case, if
the drive is under warranty I've yet to have a complaint returning it
with a copy of the smartctl output showing the failed test/etc.  With
advance replacement I can keep the old drive until the new one
arrives.

> I usually just run the test manually but I sort of had family stuff
> going on for the past year, almost a year anyway.  Sort of behind on
> things although I have been doing my normal updates.

rc-update add smartd default

I don't know that I even had to configure it - it is set to email
root@localhost when there is a problem.  I also run mdadm to monitor
raid.

I don't think anybody makes a monitor for btrfs, though my boot is
mirrored across all my btrfs drives using mdadm so a drive failure
should be detected in any case.  I need to check up on that, though -
I'd like an email if something goes wrong with btrfs storage.

> I ordered a drive.  It should be here tomorrow.  In the meantime, I
> shutdown and re-seated all the cables, power too. I got the test running
> again but results is a few hours off yet.  It did pass the short test
> tho.  I'm not sure that it means much.

Short test generally doesn't do much - you need the long ones.  I'd be
shocked if it passed with offline uncorrectable sectors.

And do check on your warranty.  You can migrate all your data to the
new drive, and then replace the old one as a backup disk.  Either use
it with raid, or as an offline backup.  If you want to do raid you can
set up mdadm with a degraded raid1 so that you can copy your data over
from your old drive, and then when it is replaced you just partition
the new one, add it to the raid, and watch it rebuild automatically.

Rich