On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 6:55 AM, thegeezer <thegee...@thegeezer.net> wrote:
> On 06/25/2014 11:05 AM, Dale wrote:
>

> I got a drive picked out at Newegg.  $$$$$$$$
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844
>

> slightly offtopic - i notice that the drive has a 2year limited warranty
>
> has anyone managed to get anything from hard drive warranties ?

Yes.  Most manufacturers have a hard drive warranty tool online.  Just
give it your serial number and it will tell you if you're eligible,
and how to go about it.  I know Seagate wants you to run their own
testing util (which just does a SMART test and spits out a validation
code which you write down).

I've gotten the same sorts of errors several times now on my RAID and
when it happens I just go through the warranty process, select advance
replacement, swap out the drive, then return the old drive in their
packaging.

Typically costs me $10 for HD replacement (I have to pay return shipping only).

Typically drives tend to die for me about a year after I buy them -
alarmingly often, actually.  Anybody who doesn't run smartmon or its
equivalent is insane, as is anybody who doesn't at least run RAID,
though anything valuable should be backed up.

Rich