On Friday 27 Jun 2014 21:54:32 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 14:22:09 +0100, Mick wrote:

> > I would think that your ISP providers in the US will be blocking
> > outgoing port 25 to stop compromised MSWindows machines spamming the
> > rest of us.  If you use my suggestion there shouldn't be a problem.
>
> It makes no difference whether you address it directly to your ISP
> address or via an alias. The ISP won't block port 25 connections to its
> own servers from its own customers, otherwise none of them could send
> email at all!

In the US many big players are blocking outbound port 25 for their customers
as a blanket measure to control spam from botnets, e.g.:

http://www.verizon.com/Support/Residential/internet/highspeed/general+support/top+questions/questionsone/124274.htm

If Dale uses the ssmtp.conf I sent he will be using a different port + TLS
encryption and should not have a problem.

Even if Dale's ISP does not block port 25 for connections to the ISP's *own*
mail servers, it may well block it to other providers' mail addresses for the
same reason.  This was a common practice some years back (pre-Gmail) when ISP
had started charging for mail services.

--
Regards,
Mick