Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 11:57:55PM -0500, Dale wrote:
>
>> I'm just going to try and buy another 3TB drive as soon as I can.  I may
>> even make it into a removable thingy.  Then I can make backups and just
>> put it in a outbuilding.  By the way, my outbuilding is pretty far from
> For such use, I am planning to get an external SATA dock, rather than use
> a “removable thingy”. You pop in the naked drive and stow that away after
> you’re done. This has multiple advantages. For one, you can read SMART data
> from the external drives, provided you use a SATA connection. Cou can’t do
> that over USB. So if your board has an eSATA connector, get an external dock
> such as <http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/node/1277>.
> If it doesn’t, you can get an internal one for a 5¼″ slot in the front of
> your case, like http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/node/1281 for one 3.5″ HDD, or
> http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/content/sata-qp-intern-multi for both big and
> small HDDs (plus some USB3 connectors, if your case doesn’t have them but
> your board provides a header).
>
> Those docks are only slightly more expensive than an external case, but you
> can use them for all your drives, not just a single one, and you have no
> hassle with countless external power supplies (“which one did go into which
> case?”).
>
> PS: I’m not saying you should get a Sharkoon, after all I haven’t bought it
> yet myself. But their site shows nicely what’s available and gives me ideas.
> --
> Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
> Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
>
> Please don’t befuddle me with facts, my mind is set.

I been wanting to get me something external but hadn't got around to
looking yet.  I didn't know they have a SATA version.  I plan to avoid
USB if I can.  From my understanding, eSATA can be hotplugged and I have
a couple of those connections.

Thanks for the info.  It put me on a different path.

Dale

:-)  :-)