J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 01, 2014 04:21:45 AM Dale wrote:
>>
>> I watched the dd process when I was erasing the old drive.  I got about
>> the same results.  It started out a little over 200 and went as low as
>> 170 or so close to the end.  On average, about what hdparm shows.  Close
>> enough it seems.  ;-)
> Yep, but do the same after adding a filesystem to the mix?
> Eg. mount it somewhere, then dd to a file on that drive.
>
> --
> Joost

I've only ever use dd to blank a drive.  I never used it to copy
anything.  While dd may be a bit faster in my use, having a file system
is a more realistic use. I think a file system would slow things down a
bit, maybe not much since file systems are pretty fast nowadays.  Thing
is, I'm fairly sure USB won't be as fast as a straight SATA connection.
That is one reason I would rather use SATA connections instead.  That
was also the reason I posted that info.  It shows that on my rig here, I
can likely copy faster than USB with a SATA connection.  The speed I
posted is a good bit faster than what Helmut posted even tho his was a
general amount.  Unless Helmut has a older, slower machine then I
wouldn't expect mine to be much if any faster than his.  Basically, USB
would be a bottleneck that I might can avoid and my mobo supports eSATA
connections.  .

I'm not trying to benchmark, just give a general idea.  What hdparm
gives me is pretty close to what dd was giving and not to far off from
what I get when doing a copy with cp or rsync.  I been doing a good bit
of copying here lately.  I do have a drive that is the older SATA but
most are the newer and faster SATA.

Dale

:-)  :-)