J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 01, 2014 11:06:59 AM Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>> On 07/01/2014 10:58:45 AM, Dale wrote:
>> Probably not. All of my external USB3 disks have a separate power
>> supply.
> I only know of 2.5" USB-drivers that are powered via the same USB-cable.
> Never seen 3.5" ones that are USB-powered.
>
> I use 2.5" drives for my backups, as they are designed for laptop use, I have
> the feeling they are a bit more robust when it comes to accidental bumps.

I thought those things looked like they had their own power.  Neat.

>>> root@fireball / # hdparm -tT /dev/sdb
>>>
>>> /dev/sdb:
>>>  Timing cached reads:   6604 MB in  2.00 seconds = 3303.39 MB/sec
>>>  Timing buffered disk reads: 542 MB in  3.01 seconds = 180.33 MB/sec
>>>
>>> root@fireball / #
>> Try a real life example like dd. I have seen the above mentioned speed
>> on disks with a file system on it which does limit the speed anyway.
> +1
>
> --
> Joost

I watched the dd process when I was erasing the old drive.  I got about
the same results.  It started out a little over 200 and went as low as
170 or so close to the end.  On average, about what hdparm shows.  Close
enough it seems.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)