On 07/01/2014 10:58:45 AM, Dale wrote:
Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> On 07/01/2014 10:30:44 AM, Dale wrote:
>>
>> I been wanting to get me something external but hadn't got around to >> looking yet. I didn't know they have a SATA version. I plan to avoid >> USB if I can. From my understanding, eSATA can be hotplugged and I have
>> a couple of those connections.
>>

> I 'believe' that eSATA is dead - just look how few products are
> available.
> I have 3 USB-3 drives which are very fast (more than 100 MB/sec) and
> if your motherboard doesn't have an USB-3 adapter, yet, it's very cheap.
>
> Helmut

I do have a few USB3 connectors. I just figured USB would be a good bit
slower.  Plus, can USB power a 3.5" hard drive nowadays?

Probably not. All of my external USB3 disks have a separate power supply.

root@fireball / # hdparm -tT /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
 Timing cached reads:   6604 MB in  2.00 seconds = 3303.39 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 542 MB in  3.01 seconds = 180.33 MB/sec
root@fireball / #

Try a real life example like dd. I have seen the above mentioned speed
on disks with a file system on it which does limit the speed anyway.

I did find a eSATA enclosure on Newegg and the price wasn't bad.  It's
one option I guess.

Dale

:-)  :-)